Master of Science in [Advanced] Physician Assistant Studies Program - online
A.T. Still University’s (ATSU) Advanced Physician Assistant (APA) program offers the most direct path to APA credentials–even without a Bachelor’s degree (additional admission requirements apply). Practicing Physician Assistants can begin immediately to pursue a Master of Science in Advanced Physician Assistant Studies from ATSU’s Arizona School of Health Sciences (ASHS).
ATSU’s Master of Science in Advanced Physician Assistant Studies online is a post-professional program that offers concentrations in either Clinical Medicine or Education/Leadership, with flexibility for working professionals.
This program is available only for licensed Physician Assistants.
Length of Program
The graduate physician assistant may take one or two years to complete the program of 40 credits.
Distance programs’ tuition is due the first day of class. For programs with payment per credit or course, the tuition covers the payment for the coming quarter. Delinquent tuition penalties accrue at 1.5% per month, which is 18% per year. Tuition is $461.00 per credit hour.
Applicants will need to create an account at https://apply.atsu.edu for access to the online application. Instructions are included on how to complete the application and provide us with all required documentation. If you have any questions regarding the online application, please contact Admissions at 877.469.2878 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Students are accepted into the Advanced Physician Assistant Studies program each quarter. Application deadlines are eight weeks prior to the start of each quarter.
Applicants for admission to the online Advanced Physician Assistant Program must meet the following requirements prior to matriculation.
- Applicants are required to meet all ATSU and ASHS general admission requirements
- Applicants must have earned a minimum overall GPA of 2.50 on a 4.0 scale and minimum PA program GPA 2.5 on a 4.0 scale.
- Applicants will have earned a Bachelor’s Degree in Physician Assistant studies from an Accreditation Review Commission on Education for the Physician Assistant (ARC – PA) accredited physician assistant program (or any of its antecedent organizations grandfathered into the profession prior to 1984), or an earned Associate or Certificate in Physician Assistant studies to be eligible for the non-bachelor equivalency option. (Please contact an Enrollment Counselor at 877.469.2878 for more information about the non-bachelor PA equivalency option).
- Applicants must submit official transcripts from all schools where a degree was conferred.
- Applicants will submit a curriculum vitae or detailed personal resume.
- All students are required to demonstrate proficiency in English when applying to the Arizona School of Health Sciences, A.T Still University. See the ASHS English Proficiency section for more details.
- Candidates are expected to be computer literate and experienced in word processing. All curricula require extensive computer usage. Accepted applicants are required to have a personal computer prior to matriculation and have access to a high-speed Internet connection.
- See the Minimum Technology Specifications under the General Admission Requirements section.
To earn a Master’s of Science in Physician Assistant Studies online, all students must:
- Complete all prescribed didactic and clinical courses
- Pass all courses with a minimum grade of ‘C’ and all comprehensive exams when applicable
- Discharge all financial obligations to ATSU
- Submit an RSVP for the appropriate Commencement ceremony (found on the graduation website)
- Ensure that the mailing address in CampusNexus Student Portal is current. This is the address where the diploma will be mailed.
- Attending commencement is not required but highly recommended.
Courses offered in the Clinical Medicine concentration of the Advanced Physician Assistant degree program are designed to broaden the clinical knowledge and skill level of practicing physician assistants. In addition to the didactic course work, which may be completed 100 percent online, the Clinical Medicine concentration requires 400 hours of direct patient care. The physician assistant degree student may complete this at their place of employment.
Classes are concentrated, with students dedicating 10-15 hours of work per week, and the Advanced Physician Assistant degree program begins every quarter. This concentrated focus challenges students to meet the rigors of the comprehensive curriculum.
The Education/Leadership concentration of the Advanced Physician Assistant degree is designed for the physician assistant who wishes to gain advanced training in the theory and practice of educating healthcare professionals.