First, let me welcome you to what has been acknowledged as one of the most innovative dental schools in America – the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (ASDOH).
We are committed to community service and addressing the health needs of the underserved. Our efforts to promote whole person health care in an environment of compassion and collegiality define us. You have been selected to be a valued member of the ASDOH family because of your heart, intellect, and integrity. Please know that your pathway to success is both challenging and rewarding.
You are now members of the ASDOH community that requires your best efforts to demonstrate professionalism through integrity, empathy, and collegiality. Your actions need to reflect the highest standard of mature ethical behavior while developing your clinical skills. Your patients, classmates, instructors, and profession expect and deserve no less.
I wish you great success. Know that we are here to help you succeed and graduate. You have the unique opportunity to be a community leader, health care provider, and proudly be an ASDOH graduate! Do it!
Robert M. Trombly, DDS, JD
Dean, Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health
The Doctor of Dental Medicine degree program and the Certificate in Orthodontics & Dentofacial Orthopedics program are accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA), 211 East Chicago Avenue, Chicago, IL 60611, Phone: 800.621.8099.
Please see the State Licensing section under About ATSU for information related to degree-granting authority by The Arizona State Board for Private Postsecondary Education and A.T. Still University’s participation in nc-SARA.
Arizona’s first dental school offers an educational model that relies on an exceptional cadre of motivated, experienced learning guides (mentors) for our students in both the preclinical and clinical phases of the degree program. In addition to the issues of oral health and the skills of dentistry, students learn from and are encouraged to become caring, community-minded health care providers. It is expected that graduates will be leaders in their community and managers of public, not-for-profit and private sector oral health organizations.
The dental program features:
- Innovative Curriculum – Integrating science, human systems and clinical care.
- Modular Curriculum – A linear format of sequential courses that build and integrate course material.
- Simulation Technology – Accelerating Skill Development for Clinical Excellence.
- State-of-the-Art Facility – Utilizing a new facility and digital resources for the faculty and students of tomorrow.
- Needs Focused – Educating competent, compassionate dentists for underserved communities.
- Service Education – Coordinating student partnerships with communities of need.
- Leadership Training – Educating dentists to be community health leaders.
ASDOH students spend the first and second year studying the basic sciences and clinical introductions in the classroom setting and complete dental simulation exercises in the campus simulation clinic. Third-year students work side by side with licensed dentists in our campus clinic. Fourth-year rotations at community-based clinics may include experiences at a Community Health Center, Indian Health Service clinic, and Veteran’s Administration clinic. Additionally, students who do not already have either a Certificate or Master’s degree in Public Health earn a Certificate in Public Health with Dental Emphasis while enrolled at ASDOH.
ASDOH Mission Statement
The mission of the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health is to educate caring, technologically adept dentists who become community and educational leaders serving those in need, and:
- to be the leader in the lifelong education of community responsive general dentists
- to prepare graduates with a strong foundation of critical inquiry, evidence-based practice, research, cultural competency, an orientation to prevention, and interdisciplinary healthcare experiences
- to promote the delivery of optimal patient care and for the transfer of newly acquired knowledge, skills, and technology to the profession and to the community
- ASDOH graduates will be skilled in the delivery of optimal patient care using a treatment model that emphasizes prevention and evidence-based treatment.
- ASDOH graduates will be culturally competent, community-responsive general dentists who are able and willing to serve as a resource in their community for dental public health issues.
- ASDOH graduates will have a strong foundation in critical inquiry, research principles, and evidence-based practice.
- ASDOH graduates will be participants in an interdisciplinary healthcare system and have the skills and knowledge to become leaders in this system.
- ASDOH graduates will have knowledge of business models relating to private dental practice, as well as non-profit and public entities.
- ASDOH will be a leader in continuing dental education, lifelong learning, and dental public health.
A.T. Still University – Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health
5850 E. Still Circle
Mesa, AZ 85206
Robert M. Trombly, DDS, JD
Wayne Cottam, DMD, MS
Janet Woldt, PhD, MS
Associate Dean for Academic Assessment
Herb Kaufman, DDS
Associate Dean for Clinic Operations
Associate Dean for Preclinical Education
Khanh P. Chu, DDS
Assistant Dean for Clinical Education
Director of Research
Associate Director, ASDOH Admissions & Global Oral Health
Director, Student Success
Executive Assistant to the Dean
Senior Administrative Assistant to the Vice Dean
ATSU-ASDOH programs adhere to the University grading scale.
ProgramsDoctor of Dental Medicine
Master of Science (and certificate)